Home

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Adrenal Fatigue



This is a subject that I wish I knew nothing about. Unfortunately, I know a whole lot about it, having experienced varying degrees of adrenal fatigue over the years, from mild to I-can-barely-function severe. This is something that so many people are dealing with and, having recently suffered a bout of it, I thought I'd give it a proper post.

Adrenal fatigue creeps into our lives via so many different avenues. Stress, over-work, trauma, lack of sleep, major life changes, surgeries, infections, autoimmune disease, over-training, blood sugar fluctuations (these stress the adrenals), vegetarian/vegan diets (high in copper/low in zinc, as well as high in carbs that can cause blood sugar swings), Leaky Gut Syndrome, pregnancy... the list of contributing factors just goes on and on.

My own adventures in adrenal fatigue began with major knee surgery when I was 14, followed by years of poor sleep habits and hypoglycemia, coupled with a high-carb, low protein vegetarian diet, which made the hypoglycemia worse. I treated myself with vitamins and herbs with varying degrees of success (I never really corrected my poor sleep habits, which is critical. I can't stress this enough!).
By the time I was 31, I had a pretty severe case of adrenal fatigue going on. As a result, my reproductive hormones and cortisol had taken a major nosedive (as well as my fertility) I had to quit my stressful job, do a lot of lifestyle and diet changes, as well as alternative therapies (acupuncture and medical qigong) to get back on my feet.

To illustrate how easy it can be to end up with adrenal fatigue, let me tell you a little story: back in August, I went on vacation to my hometown. Though fun, while I was there, I got little sleep, ate more sugar than usual and had a stressful family situation occur. By the time I got back home, after the 11 hour drive, I was the most exhausted that I've been in years. I had scheduled an extra day to recover from my drive but then a coworker got sick and I had to immediately rush back to work and work several extra long days in a row while already feeling exhausted from my trip. By the weekend, I was fighting off a summer cold. About a month later, I got a nasty respiratory thing that was making the rounds and it really took the wind out of my sails and it felt like it took FOREVER to fully recover! Through all of this, I had really slacked off on my qigong practice, which didn't help matters!
All of that left me feeling fatigued and draggy and flabby (6+ weeks of not being able to work out due to fatigue/illness, coupled with whacked out adrenal hormones= a noticeable increase in belly fat!) I also had a very short and extremely painful menstrual cycle that month.

I went to my holistic doc and did an Adrenal Stress Index and it came back showing that my morning cortisol was very low, my progesterone was low and my DHEA was borderline low. My doc gave me an herbal formula to take in the morning and at noon to raise cortisol levels and he put me on a low dose of pregnenolone- the hormone precursor to progesterone and DHEA. I took coenzymated B vitamins with extra B5 as well as extra vitamin C.
I'm happy to report that my energy levels are really bouncing back. Also, my last menstrual cycle was longer and much more comfortable than the previous one.

We always hear about stress-induced high cortisol, which does all kinds of not-fun things like increasing belly fat and killing brain cells! But what happens when you've cranked out the stress hormones for so long that you've exhausted your adrenals? You start experiencing hormone cascade disruption in the form of "pregenolone steal":

What happens is that, instead of converting pregenolone into DHEA and then into sex hormones, it gets shifted toward cortisol production (cortisol is more vital to our existence than sex hormones are and so it gets prioritized. Cortisol is a major steroid hormone and too little of it really drives up inflammation).

Here's a little video discussing pregnenolone steal:

Effects of Stress - Pregnenolone Steal from Dr. Bryan Walsh on Vimeo.


There are 4 stages of adrenal fatigue:

Stage 1: Alarm Response/Fight-or-Flight (Increase in cortisol is still within the body's output capacity).

Stage 2: Resistance Response/chronic stress (The adrenals are not able to keep up with cortisol demand. Fatigue is present. Ability to handle stress is decreased. Sleep disruption occurs. Thyroid hormone conversion is affected.)

Stage 3: Adrenal Exhaustion (Low cortisol. Hormone production suffers and clinical symptoms appear. Muscle breakdown. Chronic fatigue. Increased pain).

Stage 4: Adrenal crash/failure

For a more detailed look at the stages of adrenal fatigue, please read Dr. Lam's informative article.


So, what are the symptoms of adrenal fatigue? Could I have it?

Morning fatigue/morning headache.
Not really feeling awake until around 10 a.m.
Afternoon “low” (feelings of sleepiness or clouded thinking) from 2 to 4 p.m.
A burst of energy at 6 p.m. when you finally feel better from your afternoon lull
Sleepiness around 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. However, you resist going to sleep
A “second wind” at 11 p.m. that lasts until about 1 a.m.
Never feeling rested, no matter how much sleep you get
Cravings for foods high in salt and fats
Increased thirst/frequent urination (water goes right through you)
Chronic low blood pressure
Sensitivity to cold and feeling chilled
Increased PMS or menopausal symptoms
Mild depression
Mood swings
Mental fog
Memory problems
A decreased ability to handle stress
A decreased ability to recover from illness/injury
Heat intolerance
Light-headedness when getting up from a sitting or lying down position
Decreased sex drive
Frequent sighing
Inability to handle foods high in potassium or carbohydrates unless they’re combined with fats and protein
Sugar cravings
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Increased food/seasonal allergies
Increased sensitivity to sunlight
Low progesterone/DHEA and possibly estrogen
Hot flashes
General inflammation
Achiness or joint pain
Poor exercise recovery
Difficulty losing weight/belly fat
Difficulty in changing body composition/hard gainer
Muscular weakness
Purple or blue under-eye circles
Vertical lines in the fingertips
Ringing in the ears
Heart palpitations or tachycardia
Thyroid hormone (T3) conversion impairment

You can fill out this questionnaire if you suspect adrenal fatigue.

A lot of these are symptoms of other health issues (and there's a lot of overlap between adrenal fatigue and other issues, as well) but if you score high on the questionnaire I recommend getting an Adrenal Stress Index. You don't need a doctor's prescription, although it's preferable to work with a doc or practitioner who is familiar with saliva tests and adrenal fatigue.
NOTE: Many conventional doctors do not recognize adrenal fatigue as a medical condition, nor utilize saliva hormone panels. They are trained to only recognize full-blown Addison's Disease. If your doctor falls into this category, you're going to have to find another practitioner to help you.


Once you know that you have adrenal fatigue, you have to be willing to commit to lifestyle changes in order to heal. If you have mild adrenal fatigue, you can recovery quickly with the right tools and changes. If it's more severe, realistically it will take a minimum of several months and it's highly recommended to seek the care of a good practitioner (someone who practices Functional Medicine/FunctionalEndocrinology or even a skilled acupuncturist/OMD). There may be underlying factors that need addressing that are beyond your ability to identify or address.

Be aware that for more advanced adrenal fatigue, the healing process is not a linear one. You might start to feel good and then feel not so great again for a little while. Be patient!


Some helpful things for healing adrenal fatigue:

-SLEEP! As much as possible, get 9+ hours. Yes, this is a lot, but you need that much to heal. Don't make the mistake I did by skimping on sleep!

-Get to bed early! Getting to bed before 10 is preferable. You want to go to sleep in that window of sleepiness before your second wind hits. That second wind is a surge of cortisol (not good!) and will work against your progress.

-Eat a diet (preferably Paleo/Primal!) that's easy on your blood sugar. Eat lots of protein and fat and to avoid blood sugar fluctuations and eat carbs like sweet potatoes or berries that are easier on your blood sugar. The cold, hard truth (that I learned the cold, hard way) is that it's a lot harder to heal adrenal fatigue on vegetarian/vegan diets (as per Dr. James Wilson, one of the most experienced in his field).

-Don't exercise too hard. You'll only set back your progress. Learn to gauge what you can actually handle. If you can't recover quickly or feel worse the next day, it's too much. I recommend sticking to short walks, gentle yoga and esp. tai chi or qigong (qigong really helped my healing!) Now is not the time to be trying to get buff (you won't be able get buff anyway until your cortisol/sex hormone levels are healthy!)

-Add 1/4-1/2 tsp. unrefined salt (any salt with color like Redmond Real Salt or Pink Himalayan) to your water. This sounds odd, but when you're in a state of pregnenolone steal, you're not making much aldosterone (see the chart), the hormone that regulates sodium/potassium levels and the balance of these minerals is upset, causing sodium loss, which is made worse by drinking large amounts of water, which further dilutes blood sodium levels (hence the low blood pressure/dizziness upon standing/muscle weakness/heat intolerance.) The salt will quickly correct those symptoms.

-Read "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Syndrome" by James Wilson. This is a fantastic book and it covers ALL aspects of healing adrenal fatigue.

-Be kind and patient with yourself. Give yourself permission to not get stuff done if it's not immediately pressing. Let go of perfectionism. Get help from others when possible.

-To help with mental stress, try L-Theanine. Theanine is an amino acid found in green tea and it helps the brain make alpha waves, which will put you into a calmer, more focused state. 100-400 mgs at a time is the dose. It can be a sanity saver!

-Deep breathing. Such a fundamental thing, but most of us don't even know HOW to breathe properly! Get yourself into the habit of doing a few minutes of deep breathing upon waking, before meals and before bed. I promise you will feel a difference!

Here's my favorite video illustrating proper breathing (qigong style!):




-Meditation. Meditation doesn't have to be complicated and you don't have to do it for an hour to reap the benefits. I like to do a meditation called the "5-8 Meditation", which is a simple breath awareness technique. All you have to do is sit in a comfortable position and breath into your relaxed belly through your nose for 5 counts, pause, and exhale slowly through your nose for 8 counts. Just be aware of how your breath feels and allow any thoughts to pass through you.
If you'd like to add a visualization, you can imagine cool, white light or water flowing down through the center of the top of your head and washing through you, taking any tension and stress with it. You can start with 5 minutes. Doing this in the morning before you start your day can have a profound effect on your whole day. It's also a great way to end the day.


For those who suspect mild adrenal fatigue or just need a little extra help with handling stress:

Besides taking advantage of the suggestions above, you can use supplements for a little extra help:

-Himalaya Stress Care is one of my favorite adaptogenic, adrenal supplements. It's been extensively researched over the decades (see Geriforte research papers) and is proven to reduce cortisol and boost adrenal function (it's also a great antioxidant!) You can take the recommended dose for maintenance or take a higher dose during periods of stress and/or fatigue.



I truly hope this info will help those that are feeling less than good due to the effects of adrenal fatigue!

-Erin

61 comments:

  1. Following Paleo, but want to address some adrenal issues. Found this interesting article on timing meals and snacks with body's natural cortisol production as a way to heal AF. http://www.womentowomen.com/adrenalhealth/adrenalglandfunction-nutrition.aspx Do you follow this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. Why is this in a foreign language not English

      Delete
  2. Hi Jacqueline!
    My schedule lately has been later than what she recommends, so my meal times have been later than those. I'm trying to shift them to earlier times, but it's a work in progress;)
    In general, I eat a pretty big breakfast, though that had slipped during the time I developed the adrenal fatigue. I don't usually snack, since I eat a Primal-type paleo diet (higher fat) I don't have blood sugar swings and I do try not to eat later at night, for hormone release reasons.

    I really like Jack Kruse's leptin reset meal timing guidelines:
    http://jackkruse.com/my-leptin-prescription/

    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Had to read it a few times.
    It's amazing to think where you would be now if you had continued to eat as you had been. I know if I had not changed it would be ugly right now.
    I wonder if most people on primal consume any alcohol. Nora G refers to it as gasoline on the fire but few primal proponents don't specifically state that they don't drink ever.

    Thanks
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your site via a link from a search about GAPS diet and camu powder. Love this post and will link to it when I next post a health update. Have a lot in common with you and look forward to reading more! And I hope we both feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, This has helped me so much. I am trying to switch to Paleo to help with my PCOS. Over half my hair has fallen out and I am only 25. Did you find any supplements that helped with your hair loss. Did it stop falling out?
    Thank you so much for this wealth of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you on Dr. Jack's site. I just took the adrenal questionnaire and scored 142! Eee gads. I keep trying to do the leptin reset, but keep failing.

    I'll try again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Anonymous: I'm a pretty infrequent drinker. I have a glass of wine once in awhile, but I feel better not drinking on a regular basis. Nora is def. on the low end of the carb spectrum in the Primal/Paleo world. I'd say most Primal/Paleo people do consume alcohol to varying degrees.
    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Whitney: Fo-ti/he shou wu helped my hair to stop shedding and grow back.
    PCOS is a compicated issue, often with an autoimmune component (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and PCOS coexist together about 40% of the time).
    If you could work with one of the functional health prectitioners listed at www.thyroidbook.com it would be good, as they can look at the big picture. Many of them work distance.
    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Deborah: getting the adrenals fixed is so important as far as helping the leptin reset to be successful:-) I'm just amazed at how I can start gaining belly fat when my adrenals are fatigued (it makes it harder to lose, too!)My pants are feeling a little looser after a month of working on my adrenals, though!
    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can so relate to this. Rest, rest and more rest + major diet changes have helped. I've also been working w/ Theresa Vernon to correct the copper/zinc imbalance, (thus adrenal burnout) problem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good post. Reading your thoughts on adrenal fatigue may be useful for those who are experiencing the same kind of symptoms. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this and the various links you've posted! I am finding out more and more that I have all the symptoms of severe adrenal fatigue!

    My question to you is this- I am allergic to seafood. What Omega-3 supplements would you or could you recommend? I see all sorts of things for fish oil, krill oil, etc, but I'm severely allergic and concerned that I'll get sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you allergic to fish or to the iodine in seafood/shellfish? If it's to all fish, then you could possibly take algae-based DHA but if it's just to shellfish/iodine, you could take freshwater fish oil like salmon (New Chapter Wholemega is very good).

      Delete
  14. I suffered from adrenal fatigue a few years ago. I actually had a lot of health issues and it took me years to work out what caused them all. It was quite a journey. A few of my symptoms were:
    -adrenal fatigue
    -anxiety
    -depression
    -digestive issues
    -sensitivity to light and sound

    In the end, I discovered they were all caused by Pyroluria. Have you ever been tested?

    Anyway, I blog about living life with Pyroluria at: http://pyrolurialife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Harry!
      I'm familiar with Pyroluria and its symptoms and, though I haven't been tested, I don't have the symptoms nor do I fit the profile.

      However, I do think it's an extremely important and overlooked health issue and anyone with a history of things like anxiety, depression, sensory disorders, difficult protein digestion and certain skin problems should be tested.

      Thanks for your input- it could be very valuable to some people!
      -Erin

      Delete
    2. HI! This has been extremely helpful as I do have Adrenal Exhaustion. I read this and it was like I wrote it LOL.
      My question is, Can someone being vegetarian recover from this with the right protein supplements?

      Delete
    3. Hello!
      I think it's possible. I love undenatured grass-fed whey (Source Naturals True Whey is excellent), as it's a very high biological value protein and has a lot of great immune factors, as well as helping the liver to make glutathione, our master antioxidant.
      Plant proteins are not as well absorbed. I learned this the hard way in my raw vegan days- all that hemp protein did nothing to prevent muscle loss, yet adding back eggs and some fish allowed me to put the muscle back on in a matter of weeks. It was a valuable lesson.

      It would be good if you could also eat pasture raised organic eggs and, if possible, fermented or raw grass-fed dairy for protein. Aim for at least 70 gms/day of total protein; people with adrenal fatigue need extra protein and I found I actually felt best with up to 90 gms for awhile.

      Cutting down on high-glycemic carbs (esp. all wheat) might really help too, as low blood sugar is hard on the adrenals. Sweet potatoes and fruit like berries and stone fruit are a more blood sugar friendly source of carbs than grains.
      Make sure to get enough fat to keep your blood sugar stable (and make sure it's saturated or monounsaturated and not inflammation causing veggie or seed oils!)

      Ultimately, lifestyle changes are just as important, if not even more so, than diet changes when it comes to healing adrenal fatigue. Don't be afraid to really take it easy and be patient and gentle with yourself. It's not a quick fix.

      Good luck!
      -Erin

      Delete
    4. Erin, this post and comment are so helpful to me. I've been a vegan for a couple months, a vegetarian for about a year and a half. My muscles are just wasting away and I have no energy. I was tested, via the saliva test, and found to have stage 3 adrenal failure. Now, I'm doing anything to get back to health, starting with taking a period of sick leave from work. I've added fish back in and I think that I'm going to add back in eggs next. This is so helpful. I'm going to talk to my nutritionist about it. -Erin W.

      Delete
    5. I feel for you, as I can relate all too well! Good luck on your healing journey and be patient with and kind to yourself:)

      -Erin

      Delete
  15. Thanks so much for your reply! Im struggling here! I do eat eggs but thought about stopping. I will continue to eat them for my healing. I am not able to have dairy due to candida so whey protein is out. Im taking lifes Basics unsweetened plant protein and I like it but I have NOOOO muscle :( Having Candida and Adrenal Fatigue is horrible. Im treating the Candida but I dont seem to be healing fast enough!
    I also work in retail so it is very stressful! I do need to make some changes. How long did it take you to heal?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Honestly, I struggled for years with varying degrees of adrenal fatigue. It wasn't until I switched to a Paleo/Primal diet and cut grains and added meat that I started to heal. Qigong was helpful, too. It's hard to say how long it took. I've also had mini-relapses because of stress or illness, but I've been able to bounce back, unlike before.

    Re: whey- I don't think that the whey would feed candida, as it's low carb. I really had to rethink being vegetarian. I know that's not an easy thing. Grains make healing leaky gut and candida a LOT harder and it's pretty hard to find enough to eat on a vegetarian diet with no grains, esp. if you can't do dairy.

    It got to the point where I had to choose between my ideology and what my body required to heal and stay healthy. There is no easy answer there, but, in my case, I'm really glad I chose to go with what my body needed. My health overall is so much better as a result:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Several of my friends struggle with adrenal fatigue. They have found help at the Women to Women clinic in Yarmouth, Maine (www.womentowomen.com). I recently finished reading "Are You Tired and Wired?", written by Marcelle Pick co-founder of the clinic. It's excellent! I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just imagine the difference between the requirements of driving of your car around town at 30 miles an hour and around a racetrack at 180 miles an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I feel like my psychic twin made a blog...lol.

    Thanks! I love your writing and you are so obviously helping people to find their way....I'm a distributor for Dr. Wilson and so fully on board with the adrenal fatigue protocol..it's done wonders for me and so many people I've interacted with!

    I am a follower of Jack Kruse as well and consider CT and the leptin reset critical to my own regime...nice to see some honest critique.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for this post. It has truly been helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks for sharing! I have adrenal fatigue and I am always looking for more advice/people with similar issues, so that I can learn to improve my wellness and get over this stupid condition

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good post :), i found it after searching Pyroluria and Adrenal Fatigue. Pyroluria which turned out to be my root cause of my Adrenal Exhaustion also.

    If its ok to share my site, i created a Pyroluria Forum.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just recently started taking the stresscare supplement by himalayan herbal healthcare. I took one capsule today and my lymph nodes are now extremely swollen, i have a terrible headache, and i'm highly irritable. Is it possible the stresscare is causing a dieoff/herxheimer reaction? I might have candida...i wonder if this supplements contains sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks SO much for this great information~ I actually know a lot of these things, but you tied this together in a way that actually makes more sense than the knowledge I have. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Does anyone have suggestions on doctors or naturopaths to try to figure out if i'm suffering from this! I have a gut instinct that i have been for years but don't know how to find the help i think i need! anyone have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie!
      I would look into a functional medicine practitioner:
      http://www.functionalmedicine.org/

      The practitioners listed at www.thyroidbook.com are also functional medicine practitioners and will be able to help adrenal fatigue.

      -Erin

      Delete
  26. Curious if you knoq anything about the himalaya supplement and breastfeeding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't personally know about that, but you can contact Himalaya USA. They have a scientific adviser on staff (Dr. Grace Ormstein) who would be able to answer your question.

      -Erin

      Delete
  27. Thanks for the great info. I'm right in the middle of a crash and everyone here will know what that's like. Trying to stabilise is like trying to steer a car on black ice - hard to figure out what's going on and what direction to take to steer out of it. Logic seems to go out of the window when you're in the middle of the hurricane because of the fight flight alarm doing a number on your brain.

    That's why it is great to read this. It reinforces what we know: get a plan, stick to it and eventually the sea will calm.

    I've started to keep a diary for the first time and I can see patterns of food and lifestyle triggers already. Having previously been heavily into athletics I am programmed to try to fight my way out of this. Wrong. Trying to fight this has been a real mistake. This may well be were chi gong comes in. Going with the flow is a better way.

    Thanks again

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your healing, Joe! Remember: be kind to yourself and be patient, too! And I def. can't recommend qigong enough (esp. any "kidney" focused movements- those are very healing for the adrenals).

      -Erin

      Delete
  28. Hi hope you can answer my questions about qigong. Ive had mild now moderate af for a little while. Ive been doing my own qigong practice for a while and recently i attended a class which is wonderful. My question is they do alot of movements that involve bending over and stretching the lower back and kidneys. Is this too stimulating for adrenals? Also i end up standing for long period and i get tired. I read something about restorative yoga for adrenals too not do back bending and standing postures. Could you tell me what qigong and yoga exercises to avoid. Please and thank you love your article by the way very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick!
      The qigong exercises that you describe are perfect for depleted adrenals. You can add a visualization element of inhaling dark blue light/energy (dark blue is the color associated with kidney qi) into the kidneys and feeling them soak it up like sponges- this assists the qi flow into the kidney/adrenals.

      Most qigong can be done seated. If you are feeling really tired during your practice, do it sitting on a chair or low stool. Also, doing some qigong kidney meditation where you imagine inhaling dark blue light, feel it flow downward and saturate the kidneys (they may feel faintly tingly) for 36 breaths 2x/day can be very helpful. Incorporating visualization really amps up any qigong practice. As my teacher says: "Where the mind goes, the qi follows."

      Another important tip, if you're not already doing it, is to lightly contract your sphincter during practice. This seals the qi and keeps it from draining out the Hui Yin gate. This is a little detail that many teachers don't teach until students are more advanced, but it makes a big difference.

      If you are able to, getting a clinical medical qigong treatment can be amazing. Some people are so qi depleted that it helps to receive external qi treatments. A good qigong doctor can also prescribe exercises specifically for your condition. Here is a clinical directory (you can also google Medical Qigong Practitioner in your area):
      http://www.medicalqigong.org/directory_clinical.htm

      I hope this helps!
      -Erin

      Delete
  29. What are some qigong exercises you really recommend im having trouble finding the right exercises for adrenal fatigue

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Erin! I have low cortisol (throughout the day) and low DHEA after long term stress. My period is a mess, with short cycles etc. Just wanted to ask you about the dose of pregnenolone - how much did you take? Thankful for an answer! Kind regards Maja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maja!
      You could start with a low dose, like 5 or 10 mg. and slowly add more, monitoring how you feel. I can't advise as to an exact dose, as it will be different for everyone. I've seen that some people take as much as 100 mg. so it's a pretty wide range.

      -Erin

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your reply! I´ve understood that it it a very wide range, read somewhere that the recommended dose is somewhere between 30 and 700 mg! :O Is there any specific brand you can recommend? Thanks again! Best regards, Maja.

      Delete
    3. I do not know exactly why, but the chemist PhD author of "Amalgam Illness" - which I have been studying for treating my recent mercury poisoning - lists 100mg for women and 300 mg for men, split up into two doses (1/2 in the morning, and 1/2 at night).

      This is specifically written for mercury poisoned people but could potentially be extrapolated onto the general population.

      Bear in mind that hormonal needs are different between females and males - especially in things like amounts of DHEA or pregnenolone.

      DHEA is also sometimes taken directly (25-50 mg for a female adult; I don't recall how much for a male).

      If you take things like cortisol or thyroid hormone or other hormones, also bear in mind that many hormones are produced much more upon waking and taper off at night, so supplementation should mirror that.

      All the best,

      "X"

      Delete
  31. Hi, thank you so much for putting this together!! Can I ask which herbals you were given to increase cortisol? I'm researching before my next doc appt.
    Much appreciated, xo Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie.
      I wasn't given herbals to raise cortisol (usually licorice is given for that)- instead, I was given Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) and Apex Energetics Adrenacalm cream in the evenings to shift my cortisol rhythm. Apex also makes another transdermal cream called Adrenastim that is use for low cortisol.

      Delete
  32. Thank you SO much Erin, for contributing to my healing!! Much love & happiness to you in 2014 <3 !!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Adrenal fatigue is common nowadays due to too much stress. One should be aware of the most effective & efficient way to relieve it. Read: http://www.amchara.co.uk/adrenal-stress/

    ReplyDelete
  34. By the way, a random tip about breathing.

    It's commonly said that many people only breathe into the belly, but the back and sides are "dead".

    Proper breathing which I've experienced/seen seems to involve much more relaxation ("chi/qi", not "li" - or effort) - not "forcing" - and also is much more like inflating a balloon on all sides.

    So, placing hands on the sides of one's waist, or directly behind the dan tien, one should also feel movement (even if it's subtle).

    Zen practitioners (who originated from the Shaolin monks - doing martial arts, health qigong, AND sitting - but now are often criticized for primarily sitting and lacking "exercise" aspects) were criticized by a well-known qigong person as having breathing which is "dead" in the back.

    Interesting to see someone else with adrenal fatigue who also has done qigong/taiji.

    I've been learning, as well, and the body truly is amazing. The extent of pain and misuse of the body in modern society abounds.

    A book which I found very, very, very helpful was "The New Rules of Posture" by Mary Bond, as well as the concepts of "Rolfing" and "grounding".

    All the best,

    "X"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another note of import is that everyone's body is slightly different (not in some complex genetic/biological way, but also simply in physical structure - some bones and joints are longer or shaped differently), and everyone's personalities are different.

      So, "proper" breathing or posture or whatever-body-technique will have some similarities between humans but also be different from person to person.

      Some peoples' breathing seems very physically inflative, while some people barely look like they're breathing at all.

      Useful thoughts to keep in mind regarding learning how to use and move one's body.

      ;-)

      -"X"

      Delete
  35. Hi Erin, I loved your article above, great information. My question is: why do I get such bad craving attacks 2 weeks before my periods sometimes it's 3 weeks before - I am 45 yrs old and hardly have any period just a small amount of spotting but I get them every 28 - 35 days (this has been for the last 6 mths). I am on BHRT (thyroid, DHEA, Bi-est, Progesterone and Testosterone) could this be screwing everything up. Anyways, my thing is that once my periods come I'm a totally different person I have some energy and can cope with all the yelling, scheduling, driving, finances, work, etc. that a mother has to deal with, but as soon as those 2 or 3 weeks come before the period I am every person's nightmare I can barely stand myself and I just don't understand how things can change so drastically, it's very frustrating and I so look forward to the week of my period so that I feel like my old self. Thank you for reading my post. Giselle

    ReplyDelete
  36. INTERNATIONAL CONCEPT OF WORK FROM HOME
    Work from home theory is fast gaining popularity because of the freedom and flexibility that comes with it. Since one is not bound by fixed working hours, they can schedule their work at the time when they feel most productive and convenient to them. Women & Men benefit a lot from this concept of work since they can balance their home and work perfectly. People mostly find that in this situation, their productivity is higher and stress levels lower. Those who like isolation and a tranquil work environment also tend to prefer this way of working. Today, with the kind of communication networks available, millions of people worldwide are considering this option.

    Women & Men who want to be independent but cannot afford to leave their responsibilities at home aside will benefit a lot from this concept of work. It makes it easier to maintain a healthy balance between home and work. The family doesn't get neglected and you can get your work done too. You can thus effectively juggle home responsibilities with your career. Working from home is definitely a viable option but it also needs a lot of hard work and discipline. You have to make a time schedule for yourself and stick to it. There will be a time frame of course for any job you take up and you have to fulfill that project within that time frame.

    There are many things that can be done working from home. A few of them is listed below that will give you a general idea about the benefits of this concept.

    Baby-sitting
    This is the most common and highly preferred job that Women & Men like doing. Since in today's competitive world both the parents have to work they need a secure place to leave behind their children who will take care of them and parents can also relax without being worried all the time. In this job you don't require any degree or qualifications. You only have to know how to take care of children. Parents are happy to pay handsome salary and you can also earn a lot without putting too much of an effort.

    Nursery
    For those who have a garden or an open space at your disposal and are also interested in gardening can go for this method of earning money. If given proper time and efforts nursery business can flourish very well and you will earn handsomely. But just as all jobs establishing it will be a bit difficult but the end results are outstanding.

    Freelance
    Freelance can be in different wings. Either you can be a freelance reporter or a freelance photographer. You can also do designing or be in the advertising field doing project on your own. Being independent and working independently will depend on your field of work and the availability of its worth in the market. If you like doing jewellery designing you can do that at home totally independently. You can also work on freelancing as a marketing executive working from home. know more, email us on workfromhome.otr214427@gmail.com and we will send you information on how you can actually work as a marketing freelancer.


    Internet related work
    This is a very vast field and here sky is the limit. All you need is a computer and Internet facility. Whatever field you are into work at home is perfect match in the software field. You can match your time according to your convenience and complete whatever projects you get. To learn more about how to work from home, contact us today on workfromhome.otr214427@gmail.comand our team will get you started on some excellent work from home projects.


    Diet food
    Since now a days Women & Men are more conscious of the food that they eat hence they prefer to have homemade low cal food and if you can start supplying low cal food to various offices then it will be a very good source of income and not too much of efforts. You can hire a few ladies who will help you out and this can be a good business.

    Thus think over this concept and go ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is some great advices. It seems like you have covered most of what is needed. Fatigue has been an issue that I have dealt with for awhile and it is not fun. If you are looking for some more information, here is a great article on if adrenal supplements work.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great post on adrenals thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have been taking stresscare and it is making me extremely drowsy, do this mean I need something to increase cortisol, now that I am in severe AF.? Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really sure what that means. Sometimes when a supplement does the opposite of what it's supposed to do, it can have to do with the wrong neuron pathway being stimulated. I'd say if it consistently makes you drowsy, then it's probably not the right formula for you. Have you had an saliva adrenal stress index done?

      Delete
  40. I have been taking stresscare and it is making me extremely drowsy, do this mean I need something to increase cortisol, now that I am in severe AF.? Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete